Tuesday 25 November 2008

Public Library visit- after the visit

First thing that would describe today is: so so much information!


There is so much information here in this three story building! and now there is so much of it in my head! I can't possibly write down my thoughts, experiences and my reflection, firstly there is such a mess in my head right now and secondly, the pcs here at the library have quite useless keyboards, the monitors are clear but keyboard doesn't want to work with me, if i type abc, it chooses a and c and ditches the b! so this is very time consuming and it is very noisy here.


I will quickly write down my thoughts, the most important ones anyway:



  • I had sort of forgotten what a public library is all about, forgotten the wealth of information available! This has reminded me!

  • They have online access to FAME and anyone, yes anyone, can access it! We dont even have that!

  • I must admit, you meet everyone from the community here, business people, small people, elderly people, noisy people and creative people, mums and dads, grannys and grandads, librarians about to retire, librarians just graduated.........

  • Here you will find info in over 39 languages!

  • There is a 24/7 online enquiry service among public libraries and the type of enquiries are usually the ones where people have tried finding information themselves but did not succeed, so the enquiries are often in dept ones. For Free!

  • The CPD visitors we'll get would be interested in how we as a marketing library, market ourselves! So much think about that one!

  • I met a librarian who didn't know what a blog was!

  • Another librarian I metdid a google search by typing in www in the search field

  • Lots and lots of things I didn't know about and probably never will unless I work in a public library, maybe one day I should!

  • Many of the people I met knew about the CIM!

  • While we catalogue and index our stock, here everything gets downloaded from the suppliers!

  • INSPIRE is the name of a scheme to make libraries of all sorts available to non-members and the public!..... a librarian asked why our library is not part of this? "one would have thought......." so must look into that!

  • Observation from the front desk: some librarians are more service minded than others, I noticed many cases where the library users knew more about the library than the librarian did!

  • Would want to work in a public library? yes, but only in the info section!

Overall, it was a seriously great day! I am quite happy I contacted the library and that they welcomed my visit, it was definately worth it! I am actually visiting again this Saturday to work on my chartership!

No comments:

Post a Comment