Monday 24 November 2008

A visit to Slough library - thoughts before the visit

Tomorrow I will be visiting a second library and I have chosen a public library. This way I will have visited a membership organisation's library which is very similar to where I work now, and also a public library which is completely on the other end of the scale.


My thoughts before going are:


- is a public library a dull, kiddy, fiction focused, tea drinking kinda place? Is slowpaced the word I am lookign for here?

- do public librarians read/scan and select all the books?

- are money always short? I read in today's newspaper (must have been either Guardian or Telegraph that in 2008 38 public libraries closed and in 2007 35 libraries closed!)

- does the library get many business related enquiries?

- and what sort of services does the public library offer businesses? any sources I can use?


From my questions above you wouldn't think I myself am a librarian would you? I seem to have the same prejudice thoughts as a non-librarian....... and to change this, or at least to challenge this I have chosen to visit a public library, not a small one either, its Slough Library at the heart of Slough.

No comments:

Post a Comment