Tuesday 2 September 2008

A visit to the CILIP Library - before the visit

I have arranged a visit to the CILIP library at the CILIP headquaters tomorrow. This is one of the good things about doing chartership, you get a good excuse to get out there and peak into the LIS world. I dont know if I will get such opportunities later on, so I want to explore as much as possible now when I have the chance! :o)

I will see how it goes tomorrow, and if "needed" I might consider going to another library and see how things work there, maybe a public library? When will I get the chance to visit a public library "behind the scenes"? :)

As it is a membership body such as my own organisationI am planning on looking into the following areas tomorrow:
  • Number of members
  • How many work in the library and how many are actually librarians and chartered?
  • Type and number of enquiries received
  • Sources, in house, alternatives
  • Software used
  • How do they market themselves
  • What is their policy on

Oh and while I am there I must ask them about the changes being made to the CPD scheme and on behalf of my manager ask about the revalidation scheme, maybe they could need some tips from us?

Generally: to pick up ideas about how another professional membership bodies' library works compared to ours and to liase with other professionals about current issues in CPD, LIS and the general status of the library world!

Let's see!

No comments:

Post a Comment