Tuesday 23 September 2008

The University of the workplace

While scanning the daily newspapers (I usually do the Guardian and Daily Telegraph) I found an article in The Guardian of today (23rd September 2008) about on the job training which is increasing and according to the article it brings the best out of employees: "We've always argued that the workplace is somewhere people learn rather than go and vegetate," says Liz Smith, director of unionlearn, the body that oversees the network. "The more people are engaged in learning, the more they will contribute to an organisation. They are more motivated, confident and adaptable."

I can't understand why some companies would not want to invest in training for their employees, I would say staff (like me) feel valued and feel they can progres in their professional careers, it can make them feel more motivated and do their job in a better way, so at the end of the it can increase staff retention as well.

Sure it costs money to train staff, but it is an investment because happier staff means they are happier to work for you and if they are happier to work for you they will make improvements and increase productivity. As a company you will end up with a skilled workforce making your company more competitive and that will show on bottom line.

Hmm, my witty colleague (Umm... let's just call him Mark) next to me just said "that is a bold statement, they would probably get all the training they can and then leave for a better job......" :s HMM!

Anyway, my organisation is a "training organisation" to begin with, we offer training and qualifications for marketers, so it would be appropriate for the staff here to be given a lot of free training. Personally I think I do get a lot of training, I am not sure if it is because I am doing the chartership only, but when I find an interesting course I do bring it up with my line manager and for some reason I feel this eagerness to learn and I actually enjoy going on courses and be trained in new things. I believe it is because I feel there is just so much out there happening and I want to become part of it and make sure that my organisation is aware and following the new changes. Besides I just love studying and learning new things...... so much more fun and valuable that sitting behind closed doors....... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment