Friday 14 March 2008

TextWork by Soutron

Version 9, level 1 (6th February 2008)

Activity:
This was my first proper training (proper in terms of I was being trained by someone from Soutron and not one of my colleagues) therefore it was more at an introduction level than at an advanced level.....

Learned:
.....which is why I knew many of the things we went through. But if nothing else it was good to know how much I knew (which is almost 78 pages worth of level 1 manual) and good to have a theory recap because the one thing I am always on the outlook for are shortcuts - keyboard shortcuts that is! I learned that you can also use "not" when searching in the database. Although i know about the usual "and", "or" and "not" I have just never applied it when searching in Textworks. At least now i know that it is possible and if i ever need it i will consider doing it - to make my life easier and to process an enquiry quicker. Other short cuts are F5 which saves whatever you have changed.....I already use tabs to go either up or down in the query screen, I use F3 to open the thesaurus and I use the arrows and tab to move up or down, BUT I always have to click with my mouse in "List Shows" to go from terms list to thesaurus, now i know i can just use Alt+U. I like that! You can also add spell check when cataloging, but I have to make sure not to trust that too much (it has its mood) and to make sure that it is set as British and not as American. Oh and F11 is useful to seperate lines, eg. address and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment